April 19, 2020Rosacea: Key Ingredients To Treat & Control
Rosacea: Key Ingredients To Treat & Control
A number of things come to mind when we think of Rosacea; redness, inflammation, sensitivity, heat, and irritation- to name a few. Rosacea is a chronic skin condition characterized by facial flushing, redness, telangiectasias or broken capillaries, and little tiny red bumps (often mistaken for acne blemishes).
This condition can compromise the skin barrier which causes persistent damage and further skin aging. The first sign of rosacea may be redness or flushing that comes and goes, and is triggered by many different internal and external factors. It’s important to know what ingredients and skincare products to use on the skin, and what to avoid.
Some known triggers of Rosacea:
- Temperature: Very hot or cold weather
- Excessive exercise: Overheating can trigger flushing
- Cosmetic products: products containing fragrance, alcohols, abrasives and scrubs
- Drinks and Food: Alcohol, spicy foods, other certain
- Sun exposure: filters like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide keep the skin cooler by reflecting UV rays the skin
- Stress: Stress can trigger for rosacea
- Medications: Certain medications can cause flushing and redness
- Other causes include unstable blood vessels, the Demodex mite, genetics, H.pylori bacteria in the stomach, small intestine bacterial overgrowth and altered immune response
Its important to find your triggers that seem to be causing Rosacea flare-ups and sensitivity in the skin. Its sometimes best to see a Dermatologist or Physician to determine what you should avoid and what testing is required to be done, especially if the triggers are internal.
*Photo: Patient above is using appropriate skin care at home recommended by our Aesthetician and has received multiple professional treatments at Skin Method.
Some ingredients found in skincare products can dramatically change the skin when treating Rosacea or even just sensitive skin. These are some of my favourite ingredients I’ve recommended to my patients, and seen visible improvement regarding this condition.
- Piperonyl Glucose is a biosynthesized ingredient that prevents flushing in response to heat, cold and food-related stresses. It relieves both temporary flushes and persistent redness that occurs in the skin.
- Hinokitiol is an ingredient extracted from the oils of the western red cedar tree. Its an amazing ingredient with soothing, anti-irritant, antioxidant and brightening properties. These properties allow hinokitiol to target skin redness and blemishes.
- Copper Peptide is a naturally occurring copper complex of the tripeptide glycyl-L-histidyl-L-lysine. Its an anti-inflammatory peptide which strengthens skin and accelerates repair. It aids in wound healing, DNA repairing and improves signs of aging.
- Sea Whip is a marine organism containing an active ingredient which is the Gorgonian extract. It has great anti-irritant and soothing properties. It helps soothe and treat redness-prone and/or sensitive skin. When it
When is comes to Rosacea, everyone is different; every person reacts and responds to the condition differently. Thats why its important to be recommended proper skincare products and treatments which can lead to successfully controlling and reducing signs of Rosacea. Some things that work for you may not work for others. Skin is individual and needs to be treated as such.
With doing the appropriate skincare routine at home combined with medical-grade treatments performed by a professional— can be life changing. BOOK A FREE SKIN CONSULTATION